At Northern Strands, we take safety seriously. It is important to learn how to properly use a Tow Strap or Tow Rope to help move a piece of heavy equipment, combine, truck, or any other type of vehicle that is stuck.
Follow these 10 Steps for Safely Moving a Vehicle with a Recovery Strap or Tow Rope:
1. Recovery straps should be at least 6 m or 20 ft in length, with loops (not hooks), and in good working condition (no cuts or broken stitches).
2. Check both vehicle weights and add the weights of any loads either vehicle is carrying.
- The vehicle doing the pulling must be equal to, or ideally, greater weight than the vehicle that is being pulled.
3. Ensure the tow strap has a Minimum Breaking Strength (MBS) that is 2-3 times the total weight of the stuck vehicle.
4. Ensure tow hooks, hitch receivers, and any shackles used are rated to the loads that exceed the recovery strap MBS.
- If it is less, the strap may snap under high tension.
- If it is more, the strap will not function properly.
5. Move away as much mud, sand, or snow from under the vehicle and in front of the tires in the direction of the pull.
- In the event of excessive loads, the recovery strap should always be the weakest link and snap first.
6. Position the pulling vehicle in line with the stuck vehicle - the pulling vehicle facing forward and the stuck vehicle being pulled from the front or the back.
7. Lay out the recovery strap between the two vehicles and loop the strap onto a hook bolted to the vehicle frame or put the loop on a shackle that is properly pinned to a frame mounted hitch rated for recovery.
- Ensure that you are within 10 degrees of a straight line - side loading can lead to serious vehicle damage.
- If using a threaded shackle, hand tighten the pin and then turn it back one quarter turn for ease of release later.
- Never tie the strap onto the vehicle. Slip the strap over a ball hitch, or attach it to anything other than a tow hook or frame mounted hitch.
- Only use one strap, never two in parallel. However, there are a few options for creating additional length with two straps if needed:
8. Drape a heavy coat or blanket over the middle of the strap to dampen any backlash if it snaps or releases.
9. Ensure all bystanders are at least 2 times the length of the tow strap to the side of the vehicles.
10. The pulling vehicle accelerates slowly (to about 10-12 KPH) to build tension in the strap and provide a sustained pull.
Once the slack is taken up, the stuck vehicle likewise applies acceleration in low gear to assist the pulling car.
Neither vehicle should spin their tires.
Northern Strands Tow Strap & Tow Ropes are priced 30% less than our competitors! We stock all common sizes of Tow Straps and custom sizes are available upon request. Contact us today for more information!
- Steady momentum is most effective.
- Maintain tension throughout the pull, do not allow slack to develop in the strap at any point.
Saskatoon (Head Office)3235 Millar AvenueSaskatoon, SK S7K 5Y3Hours of Operation: 7:30am to 5:00pm Mon - FriPhone: (306) 242-7073Toll Free: (800) 242-7073Fax: (306) 934-2920
With lots of rain in the forecast for Saskatchewan, trucks, trailers, and heavy equipment can get stuck in the mud and need to be towed out with recovery straps or ropes.
Northern Strands offers the highest quality heavy duty tow
straps and heavy-duty tow ropes at wholesale pricing. Our tow straps and tow ropes are up to 30% lower cost than our competitors! These high-quality tow ropes and tow straps
have a high breaking strength and are safety certified and tested. All of our
towing and rigging products are certified for job sites complete with the
necessary paper work.
2 Ply Tow Straps offered by Northern
The 8 Strand Tow Rope offered by Northern Strands includes:
The Double Braided
Polyester Tow Rope With or Without Padded Eyes offered by Northern Strands
For more information
about Tow Straps and Tow Ropes click the following:
3235 Millar Ave,
Saskatoon, SK, S7K 5Y3
What is Dyneema? Dyneema rope is a brand name of synthetic rope that is made from Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE), which is the world's strongest fiber and gives it an ultra high breaking strength.
How Strong is it? Dyneema rope is very strong. It is 20% stronger than wire rope of the same size and 7 times stronger than wire rope of the same weight.
What about Abrasion? Dyneema has the highest abrasion resistance out of any synthetic rope in the industry and is widely used in Canada by trans-oceanic shipping companies for towing and mooring their massive container ships. In Saskatchewan and the prairies Dyneema rope is most often used on ATV winch cable, flat deck winch cable and tow trucks winch cable.
Why does this matter? Northern Strands supplies tow ropes, ATV winch lines and other accessories made from Dyneema ropes for those occasions where you need the strongest rope available and don't want to lift a big heavy wire rope. Northern Strands manufactures winch lines with hook made from Dyneema that make use of a standard eye hook for attaching to anchor points when a vehicle such as a ATV Quad or Side by Side gets stuck to the point where it needs to be winched out. The advantages of using Dyneema in these situations are huge as the rope is not only immensely strong.
Additional properties of Dyneema rope
- Incredibly light, Dyneema will float on water.
- Literally a rope, which means that it does not kink or tangle like wire rope does, especially on the smaller drums of a quad winch, and there is no risk of puncturing your skin from a broken wire.
- The same material used in the most ultra-modern body armour that is currently preferred to Kevlar as it performs the same wet or dry.
- Woven instead of wound; meaning that Dyneema rope is torque neutral, where wire rope will unwind when subjected to extreme loads.
Northern Strands carries a number of assembled winch lines with hook for sale:
- 3/16", 50' and 100' winch lines with a breaking strength of 5,400 lbs
- 1/4", 50' and 100' winch lines with a breaking strength of 8,200 lbs
- 5/16:, 50' and 100' winch lines with a breaking strength of 11,970 lbs
We can also create custom lengths and assemblies
For more information on Dyneema Rope visit us at:
3235 Millar Ave, Saskatoon, SK S7K 5Y3
Spring is just around the corner. In Saskatchewan spring means muddy roads and fields. Many trucks, trailers and heavy equipment will be stuck in the mud and need to be towed out with either recovery straps or recovery ropes. Northern Strands has the highest quality heavy duty tow straps and heavy duty tow ropes in the industry, with many of our towing and rigging products manufactured in our rigging warehouse. Our high quality tow ropes and tow straps have a high breaking strength, are safety certified and tested. All of our towing and rigging products are certified for job sites and we will provide all necessary paperwork. Northern Strands takes our commitment to safety very seriously. We are a COR certified company and a Mission Zero members.
Right now we have 2 ply tow straps, double braided polyester tow ropes and 8 strand tow ropes on sale(while quantities last). With any tow strap or tow rope sale we will give you a free Vehicle Recovery and Towing Guide.
Check out the links to our flyers below.
8 Strand Tow Rope: http://northernstrands.com/pdf/ropecordage/8strandtowrope.pdf
Double Braided Polyester Tow Rope: http://northernstrands.com/pdf/ropecordage/doublebraidedpolyestertowrope.pdf
2 Ply Tow Straps: http://northernstrands.com/pdf/towstraps.pdf
Call or come in to request sale pricing on our vehicle recovery ropes and straps.
Phone 306-242-7073 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request pricing on specific products.
Northern Strands is proudly Saskatoon, Saskatchewan owned and operated.