At Northern Strands, we take safety seriously. It is important to learn how to properly use a Tow Strap or Tow Rope to help move a piece of heavy equipment, combine, truck, or any other type of vehicle that is stuck.
Follow these 10 Steps for Safely Moving a Vehicle with a Recovery Strap or Tow Rope:
1. Recovery straps should be at least 6 m or 20 ft in length, with loops (not hooks), and in good working condition (no cuts or broken stitches).
2. Check both vehicle weights and add the weights of any loads either vehicle is carrying.
- The vehicle doing the pulling must be equal to, or ideally, greater weight than the vehicle that is being pulled.
3. Ensure the tow strap has a Minimum Breaking Strength (MBS) that is 2-3 times the total weight of the stuck vehicle.
4. Ensure tow hooks, hitch receivers, and any shackles used are rated to the loads that exceed the recovery strap MBS.
- If it is less, the strap may snap under high tension.
- If it is more, the strap will not function properly.
5. Move away as much mud, sand, or snow from under the vehicle and in front of the tires in the direction of the pull.
- In the event of excessive loads, the recovery strap should always be the weakest link and snap first.
6. Position the pulling vehicle in line with the stuck vehicle - the pulling vehicle facing forward and the stuck vehicle being pulled from the front or the back.
7. Lay out the recovery strap between the two vehicles and loop the strap onto a hook bolted to the vehicle frame or put the loop on a shackle that is properly pinned to a frame mounted hitch rated for recovery.
- Ensure that you are within 10 degrees of a straight line - side loading can lead to serious vehicle damage.
- If using a threaded shackle, hand tighten the pin and then turn it back one quarter turn for ease of release later.
- Never tie the strap onto the vehicle. Slip the strap over a ball hitch, or attach it to anything other than a tow hook or frame mounted hitch.
- Only use one strap, never two in parallel. However, there are a few options for creating additional length with two straps if needed:
8. Drape a heavy coat or blanket over the middle of the strap to dampen any backlash if it snaps or releases.
9. Ensure all bystanders are at least 2 times the length of the tow strap to the side of the vehicles.
10. The pulling vehicle accelerates slowly (to about 10-12 KPH) to build tension in the strap and provide a sustained pull. Once the slack is taken up, the stuck vehicle likewise applies acceleration in low gear to assist the pulling car.
Neither vehicle should spin their tires.
Northern Strands Tow Strap & Tow Ropes are priced 30% less than our competitors! We stock all common sizes of Tow Straps and custom sizes are available upon request. Contact us today for more information!
- Steady momentum is most effective.
- Maintain tension throughout the pull, do not allow slack to develop in the strap at any point.
Saskatoon (Head Office)3235 Millar AvenueSaskatoon, SK S7K 5Y3Hours of Operation: 7:30am to 5:00pm Mon - FriPhone: (306) 242-7073Toll Free: (800) 242-7073Fax: (306) 934-2920
Beginning April 1, 2019, the General Mine Safety Awareness Training Course is required for contracted employees working at Saskatchewan Mining Association Member Sites. This requirement extends across all Saskatchewan Nutrien sites. This training requirement will not only provide common provincial training standards for all Nutrien contracted employees, but also ensures consistency of safety training courses.
The General Mine Safety Awareness Course offered by the Northern Strands Training division is offered with instructor support in a classroom environment or on site. The program provides an overview of mine safety through 13 modules over 14 hours. These modules include:
- Saskatchewan Mining Regulations and Employment Act
- Hazard recognition
- Personal protective equipment
- Safe use of hand and power tools
- Safe use of scaffolding and ladders
- Controlled energy
- Fire safety
- Environmental safety
- Reporting incidents
- Ground control awareness
- Self-rescue techniques
- Asbestos awareness
- Fit for duty and drug and alcohol testing.
After completing the course you will be issued a General Mine Safety Awareness Training certificate, valid for three (3) years.
Contact us at (306) 242-7073 or email email@example.com for more information about the
General Mine Safety Awareness Training Course or any of the other courses we offer!
The first few months of 2019 have been great for the Northern Strands' Bin Safe System!
As a first year innovative & farm safety product at Manitoba Ag Days, the Bin Safe System was awarded first place in the Farm Safety category for the 2019 year! Including the Farm Safety Feature First Place Award at Manitoba Ag Days, the Bin Safe System has been recognized in a number of articles and won the First Place Innovation Award at the Red Deer Alberta Agri-Trade Show.
Articles recognizing the Northern Strands' Bin Safe System include:
The Northern Strands' patent pending Bin Safe System is a cutting edge product designed to protect farm workers from a fall while climbing or accessing a bin for repairs or inspections. For more information about how the Bin Safe System operates, you can watch our informational video here!
During the spring of 2018, Northern Strands Wire Rope Division provided the wire rope for the Cloudraker Skybridge at Whistler Peak. Ranging 130 m from Whistler Peak to the West Ridge, the Cloudraker Skybridge crosses above the Whistler Bowl.
Northern Strands supplied the galvanized rope with a breaking strength that exceeds 500,000 lbs that was used for the bridge.
Northern Strands Wire Rope & Cables division is capable of supplying a variety of ropes that can be customized to any project.
Les Nimmo - Mining Rope - Technical Sales
Northern Strands is one of the top lifting lug and d-plate suppliers in Saskatoon and Saskatchewan. Locally owned and operated since 1970, Northern Strands has continuously provided a wide variety of industries with the best prices on industrial equipment and supplies.
Lifting lugs have been available from Northern Strands for many years and have been used by local farmers, construction companies, and underground mines across Canada. Lifting lugs are an essential component for for rigging and are a popular product in Northern Strands Industrial Supplies Warehouse.
Northern Strands also offers a variety of specialty equipment including D-plates, maneuvering glands, reeving sockets, safety blocks, and much more. D-plates are offered in various sizes including 2, 4, 5, and 12 Tons. All D-plates are proof loaded to 125%. Northern Strands' D-plates are engineered stamped and can be re-certified.
If you have any questions and would like more information on Northern Strands D-plates and Lifting Lugs, or have inquiries about any of Northern Strands' rigging products, please contact us!
Hours of Operation: 7:30am to 5:00pm Mon - Fri
3235 Millar Avenue
Saskatoon, SK S7K 5Y3